Blood Donation & Health Benefits | World Donor Day | 14th June
Why Donate Blood ?
- The gift of blood is the gift of life. There is no substitute for human blood.
- Blood cannot be manufactured – it can only come from generous donors.
- Giving blood saves lives. The blood you give is a lifeline in an emergency and for people who need long – term treatments.
- Many people would not have been alive today if donors had not generously given their blood.
Donor Health Benefits :
- Research has proved that repeated blood donation is effective in reducing blood pressure, Blood glucose, HbA1c, low density lipoprotein (LDL), high density lipoprotein (HDL) ratio and heart rate.
- Patients who regularly donated blood had a lower risk of developing cancer than those who did not.
- Blood donation is beneficial in reducing risk of heart attack. High levels of iron in the blood constricts blood vessels giving rise to a risk of heart attack.
- After donating blood, the body works to replenish blood loss. Benefits of blood donations can regularly help stimulate the production of new blood cells. Donating blood helps the body to stay and work more efficiently.
- For those who are overweight, it is advisable to undergo blood donation regularly. Each blood donation can burn fat up to 650 calories.
Blog Written by : Dr Anita Kumari , MD, Consultant Pathologist